Black beans are a legume that have powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These little beans are packed full of phytonutrients, which have known health benefits including, reducing the risk of certain cancers, balancing blood sugar levels, and improving overall cardiovascular conditions.
A one-cup serving of black beans provides 15 grams of both protein and fiber. This ingredient, which can be added as a topping or side to many meals, also improves the overall health of the digestive tract, lowers blood pressure, and wards off heart disease.
Black beans are also high in:
- Folate – helps maintain a healthy nervous system
- Manganese – helps create essential enzymes for building bones
- Vitamin B1 – aids in breaking down fats and proteins
- Magnesium – increases energy and aids in digestion
- Iron – aids in the development of hemoglobin which carries oxygen throughout the body
Featured Meal: Southwest Grilled Chicken and Wild Rice Grain Bowl
The Southwest Grilled Chicken and Wild Rice Grain Bowl is a tasty creation of warm wild rice blend, grilled chicken, chopped romaine, avocado, jalapeños, tortilla strips, tomatoes, black beans, scallions, corn, shredded white cheddar, and lime cilantro jalapeno dressing.