Basil has often been used for medicinal purposes around the world, but it’s also a well-known herb used in many Italian cuisines. In addition to having a distinct fragrance and flavor, basil is rich in antioxidants and Vitamins A, K and C.
Basil has also been found helpful in:
- Reducing inflammation and swelling
- Slowing the aging process
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Boosting the immune system
- Protecting against harmful bacteria and improving skin
In addition, basil has phytochemicals, which studies have presented may lower cortisol, the hormone released when an individual is tense.
Featured Meal: Sriracha Ginger Roasted Tofu Greens Bowl
The Sriracha Ginger Roasted Tofu Greens Bowl is paired with baby spinach and shredded kale, roasted organic tofu, broccoli, carrots, sprouts, basil, ginger, and sriracha. The fresh-made carrot chili dressing, gives this bowl a bit of a kick.